Friday, July 10, 2015

What is up with low carb training


We hear about the Paleo diet and Zone diet being good for athletes.  But why?  Many individuals believe that cutting carbs will mean that they will lose weight.  But there is more to it than that. Individuals will have a low glycogen store in order to enhance fat metabolism.  The athletes lower their carbohydrate intake and increase their fat intake.  It is believed the reason why this works is because  the body adapts to having a low glycogen store and begins to utilize fatty acids instead.  


A low carbohydrate diet, known as the ketogenic diet, has already been used to treat seizures.  Research is currently being done to see its efficacy on ultra-endurance athletes, among those who do not process carbohydrates well, those who need to reduce body weight, or have gastrointestinal problems.  

What we do know is that athletes who do utilize the low carb diet may not be able to perform at a high intensity.  Also there is a possibility of altered metabolism issues.

So what should you do?  Listen to your body.  Some people will do well with a low carbohydrate diet while others may not.  Everyone's body is different and the way our body reacts may differ from person to person.  

As for me, I eat a moderately low carbohydrate diet.  I don't completely eliminate carbs because I learned that I am not at my peak performance and get light headed when I don't have some sort of carbs in my system.  But I also don't eat as many carbs as the typical American.  Below is an example of what I may eat in the day to get my carbohydrates.  I  typically have more carbohydrates in the morning and in the evening.

Breakfast-  two mini egg burritos with 2 6-inch flour tortillas
Lunch-  salad with field greens, nuts, fruit, and salad dressing
Snack-  Think Thin Protein Bar
Dinner- Seasoned chicken with red beans and rice and a 
                           large side of steamed cabbage

1 comment:

  1. I love this post sis! Super informative! Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete